This program is an advanced study in the professional development for aspiring Sommeliers. You must be familiar with the basic principles of grape growing, wine making, the major varieties of the world, major appellations and the issues and present trends in wine and food.
Entrance Exam (CAPS1010)
If applicants do not possess formal course work but have acquired knowledge/skills and/or experience in the wine industry they may be requested to take an Entrance Exam.
This exam includes blind tasting of wines – Red and/or White; multiple choice; and short answer questions covering the basic principles of grape growing and wine making, the major grape varietals, major appellations and current food and wine trends and issues. A minimum grade of 70% is required on this exam.
To prepare for this entrance exam you should have a thorough understanding of the following areas:
- Viticulture and Vinification
- Old World and New World Wines
- Major Appellations
- Basic principles of grape growing, wine making
- The major varieties of the world
- Variances in Taste Profiles
- Issues and present trends in wine and food
- Blind Tasting – differentiate between varietals